KNIGHTSTOWN, Ind. (June 22, 2010) - As part of Ameriana's 120 Year Celebration, Ameriana hosted a Community Hero Contest. After submitting nominations, community members voted throughout on their favorite candidates for Knightstown's top community hero. Ameriana is proud to announce Tom Smith as the winner for his service in Afghanistan with the United States Army, where he earned a Gold Star.
As the winner of Ameriana's Community Hero Contest, Smith won a $250 donation to the charity of his choice.
Also nominated for the award were:
- Danny Baker was nominated for his work as the chief of police of Knightstown Police Department and for his assistance in fund raising for the department. He also attends nearly every event that the community participates in.
- Cary Ellis was nominated for his volunteer work with the Knightstown baseball program. He maintains the field and umpires the boys' baseball games.
- Darrell Haines was nominated for his involvement as a former town board member and his service to the American Legion Post 152 and the community. Darrell was instrumental in starting the free Thanksgiving dinner program offered by Post 152, which has grown significantly over the years.
- Derek Hall was nominated for his work as a police officer and for his volunteer service mentoring young people in the community.
- Jean Kraus was nominated for being an active member of the Knightstown Chamber, American Legion Auxiliary and Eastern Star.
- Richard Swincher was nominated for his service in the Knightstown Police Department, Fire Department and Ambulance Service as well as for his commitment to caring for his disabled grandmother.
- Danny Webber was nominated for serving as the president of the Neighborhood Crime Watch for spreading the crime watch program to many surrounding areas.
Ameriana Bancorp is a bank holding company. Through its wholly owned subsidiary, Ameriana Bank, the Company offers an extensive line of banking services and provides a range of investments and securities products through banking centers in the central Indiana area. Ameriana Bank owns Ameriana Insurance Agency, a full-service insurance agency, Ameriana Financial Services, which offers securities and insurance products through LPL Financial (Member FINRA/SIPC), and Ameriana Investment Management.