NEW PALESTINE, Ind. (July 13, 2010) - As part of Ameriana's 120 Year Celebration, Ameriana hosted a Community Hero Contest. After submitting nominations, community members voted throughout on their favorite candidates for New Palestine's top Community Hero. Ameriana is proud to announce Brandee Bastin as the winner for nominated for creating awareness and spreading knowledge about the harmful effects of tobacco. As the leader of VOICE, she strives to make the community healthier with her anti-tobacco campaigns.
As the winner of Ameriana's Community Hero Contest, Bastin won a $250 donation to the charity of her choice.
Also nominated and eligible for the award were:
- Wally Cones was nominated for his service as a teacher in New Palestine schools in addition to successfully coaching the New Palestine men's basketball team for many seasons - including New Palestine's first sectional win in 1957.
- David Espich was nominated for his work wtih the American Legion and its fundriasing efforts through his organization of horse shoe tournaments, corn hole tournaments and Texas Hold 'Em tournaments. Espich is also involved with the Chamber of Commerce.
- Randy Faunce was nominated for his organization of the Southern Hancock Education Foundation and for his support of the NPHS band.
- Cathy Fitzgerald was nominated for her service on the Township Board, dedication to the High School Campus Life Program and assistance at teh Campus Life Concession Stand. Fitzgerald also serves as a Sunday School and Vacation Bible School teacher.
- Jan Jarson was nominated for serving as president of the NPHS Band Boosters. Jarson also serves as an active member in the Chamber of Commerce and volunteers for Leadership Hancock County.
- Mark Kennedy was nominated for his involvement in the Lions Club. He is instrumental in organizing the Lions Club Fair and has been voted as the incoming Lions Club president.
- Jeremy Large was nominated for serving as a great teacher and as an assistant coach.
- Don Piersall was nominated for his service in the United States miliatry. He leaves for another tour of Iraq in January.
- Liz Rusche was nominated for her 14-year service to the PTO, her involvement in the High School Campus Life as a small group leader at the Middle School and as a concession coordinator for all baseball/football season fundraisers and her involvement in the football and the basketball boosters.
- Jamie Wingler was nominated for his involvement in building a wrestling program in New Palestine. He started the elementary wresting "club," and serves as a great coach and role model for the kids.
- Troy Wyatt was nominated for his service in the United States military. He will serve his third tour in the Middle East.
Ameriana Bancorp is a bank holding company. Through its wholly owned subsidiary, Ameriana Bank, the Company offers an extensive line of banking services and provides a range of investments and securities products through banking centers in the central Indiana area. Ameriana Bank owns Ameriana Insurance Agency, a full-service insurance agency, Ameriana Financial Services, which offers securities and insurance products through LPL Financial (Member FINRA/SIPC), and Ameriana Investment Management.